Monday, July 10, 2006

Ohio Trip

Our trip to Ohio over the long 4th of July weekend for my niece's wedding was terrific. Cheryl, our grandson Jimmy, and I flew out of Austin very early Friday morning and arrived in Columbus, Ohio, about 11 am. I slept most of the time on the plane. Woke up for peanuts, coffee, to change planes, more peanuts and more coffee. We picked up our rental car and drove to my brother, Bob's home in West Chester. We got there around 2 p.m., where I proceeded to doze sitting up on his couch most of the rest of the day. As other guests arrived, I was oblivious. I know Cheryl must have been thinking what a great weekend this was going to be. However, on Saturday, the day of the wedding, I was well rested - obviously- and stayed awake all day. We visited with family, Jimmy swam and then we got ready for the wedding in the evening. Unfortunately, my Mom had a dizzy spell and became quite ill. It is an inner ear thing that she hasn't had in quite awhile. We didn't know about it until we arrived at the wedding location. My older brother, Jim, and his wife, Barb, stayed at home with Mom.

The wedding was really nice and my niece, Lori , made a beautiful bride. The actually ceremony was outside and was very short, which was good because it was very warm. Actually the entire time it was hotter up there than it was here in Texas. Very strange. The reception was great with good food and fun times. My youngest brother, Bill, who has been is 8 Broadway musicals, sang two fantastic songs. Jimmy even caught the garter. He didn't know what it signified until later. At least he didn't have to put it on the girl who caught the flower bouquet. Cheryl, Jimmy and I left fairly early to get some rest for the next day's activities.

The next day was a blast! We started out with a miniature golf tournament. I think I came in second, but it could have been last, who knows. Chemo brain is my excuse! Our "team" came in first. Then there was a "longest drive" contest on the driving range. Cheryl and I went back to Bob's house because a) it was too darn hot out there, and b) Cheryl has never played golf and I have only played golf two or three times in my life and we didn't stand a chance anyway. After everyone arrived back at Bob's we ate lots of good food, visited with everyone and some swam in his pool.

About 5 p.m. it was time for the lip sync contest. This is something that Bob's wife's family does each year when they have their reunion. I didn't realize how far everyone goes with costumes, etc. My mom, who was feeling better then, even participated doing a number called, "Rapping Granny." All the acts were fantastic. We had a magic act, a family band, sisters, Bob and his family portrayed "The Streak" that had us in stiches, and my youngest brother Bill and David doing the Titanic had us rolling on the ground laughing. Bill was the Titanic and David was the iceberg. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I just tried to upload the pictures from the contest and it won't take anymore. Not sure why, so I will try putting them as another post following this one. I am also going to put a picture up with Jimmy and Mom. I think it shows the special bond they have. (Oops, the pictures are above this post.)

Bob and Priscilla did a fantastic job of hosting all those folks. Some stayed in hotels, many stayed in their home, and some, including us, stayed at a friends home while their friends were out of town! They had trophies and prizes for everyone!

We got up early Monday morning and drove back to Columbus to catch our flight back to Austin. The plane was delayed taking off, but it was OK because we had a scheduled three hour layover in Chicago. We got back home about 7 p.m. Monday evening. We spent the 4th of July just resting and then back to work on Wednesday.

I go to MD Anderson Wed, chemo Thursday, and all next week in Houston for my work. I will post updates then and try not to be as slow. Actually, I have done real well lately, I think. Not counting this, three posts in two weeks. Not bad, huh?


Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.