Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Stable -- It's Not Just For Horses

I went to my monthly oncology appointment and got the results of a CT scan from last week. The bottom line, my nodes have remained stable! That is pretty amazing because the last time they had doubled. Yes, they are still wide spread everywhere, but mostly have not grown at all, and one was reported to have shrunk a little. It is so weird because I felt like my neck nodes had gotten bigger just since the scan, but my doc rightly pointed out that they will have a tendency to wax and wane. My blood work also remained stable since last month. The platelets dropped a little, but not much and are still just above 100.

The CT scan did say that the discs in my lower spine had deteriorated more since last time, but I knew that. I am getting up out of my chair and walking like an old man. And I ain’t old…unless you ask my grandchildren…and my kids…and my, oh, never mind.

I forgot to report other great news from last month. Although I lost another 1/4 inch in height (that's over two inches since I got out of the Air Force), my osteoporosis actually improved! It is still in the severe danger of fracture range, but barely. The doctor was very pleased and so am I. The weekly Fosamax pill is doing what it should.

Cindy's husband also had pretty good test results. The doctor saw no tumors and only found inflammation. He gave him antibiotics for a possible infection and if the bleeding has not stopped by next week, he will be doing other testing. Cindy was very disappointed that he didn't do all the tests at one time like she thought he would. Pray the antibiotics take care of this and the scare is over.

- My sister-in-law's sister's husband died of cancer Monday. He was only diagnosed in late November and it spread very rapidly.
- David E's prostate cancer is on the march and he will be trying a different treatment (see the link to his blog on the right). Pray for him, too.
- Karen, (The Adventure's of Cancer Girl link on the right) who has had multiple myeloma since 2005, has been undergoing treatment now for some time. She has gotten results, but not all that she deserves. She is the mother of a toddler (WCK - world's cutest kid) and her blog is fantastic. She has been able to keep a fantastic sense of humor. Obviously she could use some prayer also.

Yes, cancer still sucks!

(Wow, four entries in a week - even though three were all on the same day, I did done gooder, huh?)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right, cancer sucks! I'm so glad God reigns! I'm thankful for so many things. I'm thankful that you are a support to so many others that are suffering and God is glorified in all you do. I am always uplifted when I read your blog. You have such a gift for writing, a great sense of humor, and a love for the Lord. I continue to lift you and your family in prayer.
Sheri

Anonymous said...

Good to hear about your stable counts. Keep on W&Wing !

Are you doing anything for your back?

Karen said...

John, my treatment seems to be working better now ... maybe it was because of the mention on your blog? :) Thank you for thinking of me!

Karen

Anonymous said...

John , I saw Your blog a long while ago and just found it again.
I am glad You are stable
It has been a cold winter up here near the town You were married in
Dan

Anonymous said...

(Surge on Leukemia) PRNewsNow is running a Digg or Donate for Leukemia and Lymphoma Challenge. I will donate 1 dollar for every Digg of our article up to $1000. I will also run a front page press release for any company that MATCHES my donation( Our front page press releases tend to be number 1 in Google that has power). If you can't give as little as $10 to this fund drive MAKE sure you digg the article and help us reach others who may be able to help. A few minutes of your time matters.

Anonymous said...

John

Been checking your blog daily and wondering what is going on with you. Hope you are well, please update us if you get a chance.

Kym