Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day


Here am I with two of the most important mothers in my life. My Mom, who is 91, and my wife who might be upset if I tell you her age (hint: she is slightly younger than me, but only by two years - ha!) I can't tell you how grateful I am to have these two in my life. My parents raised a wonderful family who have remained close and supportive throughout the years. It was because of the example of our parents that we did so well. Even when Dad was working two jobs to support a family of five boys, Mom was there to take us to church every Sunday, even when Dad was working. She made sure we had the spiritual nurishment we needed. She has unconditional love for all of us and still, like all moms, worries about us. She has been staying with us since January and on Tuesday left to go to Ohio for a few months with a younger brother, Bob. We will miss here and pray she will be able to come back again next year as she usually does. Before Dad died, they used to come down for a few months every year. Then for his last two years, Dad wasn't able to travel. When Dad died in November of 2003, from my type of leukemia, several other cancers, and a very bad heart, she again came down that next January. This was her third year spending January to May with us. She is in pretty good health except for the terrible arthritis in her knees and hands.

My wife is a fantastic mother to our girls and grandmother to our grandkids. She bends over backwards to do anything for them. Again, a mother's love has no bounds. Our grandkids adore her, and they should. She spoils them with only a love a grandmother can display. And yet, she still has plenty of love left over for me. God blessed me with the finest lady I could ever have found to be the mother to my children.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you mothers reading this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tribute to Moms everywhere! I should post my numbers again. I've been remiss. I think mine might even be better than YOURS! I know my PLT's are. Had a "Bosom Buddies" meeting tonight. They are so helpful in getting me through this and answering the questions that I either should have or forgot to ask the docs. It'll be ok.

I think you're doing the right thing with your treatment plan. You've investigated all that was out there, and felt comfortable with what you've decided. Let's face it. CLL is such a crazy beast that I think that most doctors just don't have the time to try to figure it out, much less..understand it. That's why most of us are given the time to do that for ourselves.

I swear. One time in the 70's when I had to see a Navy doctor, he actually asked, "What do you have?" "Why do you say that?" "What do you need for it?" and finally, "OK, here's the prescription. See you next time."

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.